Losing a loved one in a fatal accident is devastating and probably the last thing on your mind will be claiming compensation. But if your loved one was killed by the negligence or breach of duty of someone else the law says that compensation is payable.
At Alker Ball Healds we have many years experience of helping families who have been traumatised by the loss of a loved one. Our lawyers will use their skill, knowledge and experience to ensure that your claim is dealt with sensitively, professionally and as quickly as possible.
Heads of Claim
Following a fatal accident, the heads of claim which can be available, depending on the circumstances of the case, include:
- Bereavement damages, currently fixed by statute in the sum of £12,980
- Compensation for any pain and suffering between injury and death
- Reimbursement of funeral and associated expenses
- Compensation for property damage and loss of earnings prior to death
- Medical and travel expenses prior to death
- Dependants' financial loss claim
Who can claim?
There are only certain categories of dependants who can claim. These include:
- The spouse or civil partner or former spouse or civil partner of the deceased
- Any person who had lived with the deceased as a spouse or civil partner for a period of at least 2 years prior to death
- Any parent or any ascendant of the deceased
- Any person who had been treated by the deceased as a parent
- Any child or other descendant of the deceased
- Any person (not being a child of the deceased) who, in the case of any marriage to which the deceased was at any time a party, was treated by the deceased as a child of the family in relation to that marriage
- Any person who is, or is the issue of, a brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the deceased (nephews, nieces and cousins)
Free initial interview
We are happy to see you for an initial interview at no cost to you. We will advise you fully as to all the matters you might have to deal with including the Coroner's inquest, any Police prosecution, and the procedure involved in pursuing your claim. If possible at this early stage we will give you an indication of the likely compensation you could receive. .
At Alker Ball Healds Solicitors we work on a 'no win no fee' basis and so if you do not succeed you will not have any legal costs to pay.
If you have lost a loved one as a result of a fatal accident please phone our specialist team 01942 246241. We will do our best to help you at this most difficult time.