The family of a man who was exposed to clay dust in his place of work have secured compensation four years after his death.
Walter Patton had worked as a clay dryer in the 1950s and 1960s. Although workers would often be covered with clay dust, Mr Patton's employer never provided staff with protective clothing.
In later years, Mr Patton began to suffer from breathlessness. He passed away in February 2013, aged 83, and an inquest revealed that he had died of kaolin pneumoconiosis.
Mr Patton's family contacted solicitors with a view to making a personal injury claim. Witnesses who had worked with him were able to provide crucial information showing how conditions in the workplace had allowed the exposure to clay dust to occur. His family have now secured compensation of £52,500 from his former employer.