£1,000 Compensation for Man Burned By Shower Gel

A man who was left screaming in agony after he used a shower gel that burned his testicles has won £1,000 in compensation.

The incident happened in August 2011, when Raymond Cuss, 42, was having a shower after getting home from work. When he used the herbal-scented gel, which he had bought from his local 99p Stores branch, it caused a chemical reaction, resulting in inflammation of the skin around the groin. He lost a layer of skin and the affected area was bright red.

As his skin dried, he suffered excruciating pain. He was unable to lie on his front, which meant that he had trouble sleeping, and experienced severe pain whenever his clothing brushed against the affected area. As he is self-employed, he struggled through the discomfort and continued working.

Mr Cuss was initially afraid that he had suffered permanent damage, although a medical examination the following February found that he had made a full recovery.

He brought a claim against 99p Stores. The manufacturers of the product identified it as having been imported to the UK on the grey market, having originally been made for sale in Korea.

99p Stores did not admit liability but, after months of legal arguments, agreed to pay Mr Cuss £1,000 in settlement of his claim.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.